Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Family reunion, what?



The Martinez clan is in da house! Kenny and Karen’s house, that is. Approximately 14 adults, young and not so young descended on Chez Platis/Martinez for a whirlwind, impromptu family reunion with our Miss E as the draw.

The weekend began with a solo trip from Spokane with me looking like a Sherpa making her way down the jetway. Elianna was strapped on my front, on my back was a car seat carrier, stuffed with extra contraband that was too much weight for the luggage tucked inside, on my shoulder was a diaper bag stuffed to the gills and I had my largest purse filled with jackets, food and oh yeah, my wallet. Elianna was a champ on the flight with only a few squawks of protest when I wouldn’t let her toddle down the aisle during takeoff but she contented herself with moving back and forth from seat to seat in our row that we had to ourselves (heaven!).

The reunion itself was wonderful. While I know Elianna was the excuse it was fantastic that almost everyone was able to arrange their schedule to get together for a few hours (which is really all it was!). Elianna took to all the new people with her usual aplomb. After a few minutes of sober study of the situation, she allowed herself to be passed from person to person with nary a peep. She learned new words (Nana, Poppa) and tried to learn others (GG for my Grandma Mary), ate new food, and gained several new admirers (Christina, Corinne!).

The trip back was relatively easy. Despite being tired, Elianna was only slightly cranky and she tried to make friends with all around her. After meeting 13 or so new people, she appeared to think everyone was family; all newcomers were greeted with a, “haaaaaaah” (Hi) and a wave. I've also discovered she knows how to flirt; she was doing it all during the trip with the boys in the seat behind us!

So we are back home, getting over a cold that I'm sure we contracted on the airplane but it was totally, totally worth it. Our family isn't the best at keeping in touch, at following each others' lives but we did this time and I'm proud of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment